Description As a native of Alsace in eastern France and lacking the formal training provided in Paris, Doré began his career as an illustrator and remained outside the mainstream of French painting. His dramatic landscapes, with their grand vistas and turbulent skies, reflect the Romantic movement that had prevailed in French art a generation earlier. Doré is perhaps best known for his illustrated Bible (1866). This proved to be an important calling card for the artist, enabling him to open the Doré Gallery in New Bond Street, London, where this painting was probably originally exhibited. Doré first visited Scotland on a salmon-fishing expedition in 1873, and he fell in love with the landscape, returning the following year. A series of paintings produced between 1874 and 1881 were based on sketches made on these trips. Rather than depicting landscapes with topographical accuracy, Doré's paintings evoke the romantic ideal of timeless and wild nature. Similar examples can be found in the Saint Louis Art Museum (88.13) and the Toledo Museum of Art (22.108).
- Before Monet: Landscape Painting in France and Impressionist Masters: Highlights from The Walters Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998.
- A Magnificent Age: Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte. 2002-2004.
- Gustave Doré (1832-1883): Master of Imagination. National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa. 2014.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance "Baronne G.", Paris; Commissaire-priseur Laurine, Palais Galliera, Paris, June 23, 1964, lot 75; Huntington Hartford Collection, New York, 1965-1983 [on loan 1965-1969 to the Gallery of Modern Art, New York, no. 65.1]; Huntington Hartford Sale, Sotheby's, New York, May 26, 1983; Private collection, 1983-1985; Walters Art Museum, 1986, by purchase.
Inscriptions [Signature] Lower left: G. Doré
Credit Museum purchase with funds provided by the W. Alton Jones Foundation Acquisition Fund, 1986
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License