Description This wall fragment is carved in low relief. It depicts two men with oars in their hands, and with their bodies painted in red. The fragment comes probably from the southern, lower terrace of temple of queen Hatshepsut in Deir el Bahari, where the transport of her obelisks from Asswan to Thebes is represented. This transport was done with large ships and these oars men belonged to the crew.
|10/24/1988||Examination||examined for condition|
Provenance Dikran Kelekian, New York and Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown] [claimed from Dehr-el-Bahari]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1930, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Label] Old label reads: 1239 K
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1930
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License