Description Palmer, who was self-taught, was among the first American sculptors to break with the prevailing neoclassical style and adopt a more naturalistic approach. A version of this bust (likely in plaster or clay) was first exhibitied in New York in 1856, and a first marble version made soon after. The sculptor's account book shows that William T. Walters payed $600 for a second marble version of this work in 1858. It appears that four were made in this medium, the final being cut in 1871.
|12/31/1969||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- Erastus Dow Palmer: A Native American Neoclassical Sculptor. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 1983-1984.
- American Artists Abroad: Works from the Permanent Collection . The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1858, by purchase from artist for $600; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] E. D. Palmer. Sc. 1857
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1858
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License