Description This image of the Virgin is the left panel of the triptych Deesis, a composition in which Christ is flanked by intercessors, chiefly his mother and John the Baptist. Here the Virgin turns toward what was once an image of Christ (compare Walters 44.375). On the reverse of the icon, on what would be the outside of the folded triptych, is a cross with the symbols of the four evangelists and a panorama of the city of Jerusalem.
Provenance [Purchased in Russia]; George Way Williams, Detroit, Michigan, 1919-1920, by purchase; Mrs. J. Henry Dasenbrook, Baltimore, ca. 1980, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1985, by gift.
Credit Gift of Mrs. J. Henry Dasenbrock, 1985
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License