Description This monumental sideboard represents a style of furniture that was popular in the 1850s, after the exhibition of a similar piece at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London. The sideboard was part of a dining-room suite that William T. Walters commissioned through a local furniture maker, likely around the time of his purchase of a large townhouse in Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore in 1857. The carving of the dead game animals is characteristic of the work of German artisans active in this country.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance Acquired by William T. Walters, Baltimore, likely 1850s; inherited by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931; acquired by Haussner Collection, Baltimore; Walters Art Museum, 1997, by gift.
Credit Gift of Frances W. Haussner, 1997
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License