Description This title page was added in the nineteenth century by an artist attempting to recreate a medieval illuminated initial, likely to make the book more desirable for collectors.
Provenance Created in Champagne, France (?). The monastery of Saint-André de Villeneuve-lés-Avignon, 17th century ; Acquired by Bénigne-Charles Févret de St. Mesmin [1739-1792], Dijon . Acquired by Léon Gruel, 19th-20th century, Paris; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  ownership inscription added in 17th century in upper margin of fol. 2r: 'Iste liber est monasterii sancti Andree dyocesis auinionensis / .aab. /; and in another slightly later hand, added after 1635: Monasterii Sancti Andreae congregationis S. Mauri: /; in lower margin, added after 1640: 'Catalogus inscriptus', reference to 36-line description of W. 2 in Saint-André library catalogue begun 29 September 1640 by Dom Odon de la Mothe (d. 1643), binding described as 'postibus copertam et basana alba a parte putrida'  facsimile (?) of bookplate of Bénigne-Charles Févret de St. Mesmin (here spelled 'Memin') of Dijon (1739-1792), affixed in all likelihood by Gruel at time of rebinding, 19th/20th century (?)
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License