Description This ring, a less expensive version of Walters 57.1957, is composed of a glazed steatite scarab set in a wide bronze band. It is attached to a hoop which tapers into a wire small enough to go through the perforation of the scarab. Decorative hieroglyphs are carved into the flat face of the back of the scarab. Above is the red crown flanked by "protection" symbols, below is a "djed" pillar of Osiris flanked by signs in the shape of a basket.
- In Search of Ancient Treasure: 40 Years of Collecting. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1978.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Robert Garett Collection, Baltimore, [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Children of Robert Garrett, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1964, by gift.
Inscriptions [Inscription]: The upper part depicts Lower Egyptian crown on nb-basket: kingship and magical protection, flanked by s3-signs "protection," the lower part a dd-pillar "stability," flanked by nfr-signs "perfection." The hieroglyphic signs have no syntactical context, but the combination of signs conveys special magic protection and long-lasting perfection.
Credit Gift of the children of Robert Garrett, 1964
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License