Description This icon portrays the saints George, Antipas, and Blaise. The latter two wear their episcopal vestments (both were bishops) and hold Gospel books. The Cyrillic letters Z and TS next to Antipas' image stand for "zubnoi tselitel'" ("healer of tooth[aches]"). There is a knob for suspension at the top of the panel.
Provenance [Bought in Moscow, reported by the store owner to have belonged to White Russians]; Dr. Waters Field Burrows, New York, 1937, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, 1953, by gift.
Credit Gift of Dr.and Mrs. Waters Field Burrows and daughter, 1953.
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License