Description St. Isidore was martyred on the Greek island of Chios in AD 251. The well into which his body was thrown later became a healing shrine, represented at the right. The ship to the left refers to Isidore's role as patron saint of sailors, as well as to the ships that carried pilgrims to his island shrine. This stamp, used to produce pilgrim tokens, has a backward inscription that becomes legible when imprinted in clay.
|3/01/1982||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Sacred Souvenirs: Byzantine Pilgrimage Art. Dumbarton Oaks, Washington. 1982.
- Treasures of Heaven. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The British Museum, London. 2010-2011.
Provenance Dikran Kelekian, Constantinople and Paris [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1912, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] Inscribed in reverse: + ὁ ἅγιος Ἠσιδόρος [Ἰσιδόρος] / Ἰ(ησοῦ)ς Χ(ριστό)ς / Δέξ(αι) εὐλογί(αν); [Translation] + Saint Isidore / Jesus Christ / Receive a blessing
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1912
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License