Description Although renowned for its porcelains, the manufactory at Sèvres also operated studios for enameling on glass and metal, and for making faience and mosaics. At mid-century, it also revived the technique of enamel painting as practiced in Limousin during the 16th and 17th centuries. J. B. C. Philipp (1815-77), who signed this piece, was an enameller employed at Sèvres.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License