Description This panel once formed together with its pair 71.159 the side wings of a triptych icon. Each wing is divided into four registers, showing inward-facing figures that originally drew the viewer's attention to the now missing image in the center. The overall arrangement follows a hierarchical order, with a pair of angels in the top register followed by the apostles Paul and Peter and by four martyrs holding crosses.
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
Provenance Count Gregoire Stroganoff (Grigorii Sergeevich Stroganov), Rome, before 1900, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1926, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1926
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License