Description The center of this exquisite triptych (three-paneled icon) shows the Virgin holding the Christ Child and pointing toward him with her right hand. This portrait type of the Virgin is known as "Hodegetria," named after a famous icon in the Hodegon monastery in Constantinople, believed in the Middle Ages to have been painted by Saint Luke the Evangelist. On the wings, two pairs of unnamed saints pay homage to the Virgin and Child. Barely visible traces of pigment and gold remain on this triptych, indicating that it was once brightly colored. The panels of the triptych were cut down at some point, and the wings and central section do not align perfectly, suggesting that this object might be the result of two earlier pieces being joined together.
|7/06/1989||Examination||examined for exhibition|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Ivory: The Sumptuous Art. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983-1984.
- The Glory of Byzantium. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 1997.
- The Mother of God: Representations of the Virgin in Byzantine Art. Benaki Museum, Athens. 2000-2001.
- Highlights from the Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998-2001.
Provenance Heinrich von Hofstätter, Bishop of Passau; Gnadenkapelle, Altötting, Bavaria, 1867, by gift; Tycon and Smith, Paris, 1905, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License