Description This white porcelain coffee cup has the monogram of William T. Walters in gold as well as gold rims. Monogrammed dining services were essential items in wealthy 19th-century households. The diaries of George A. Lucas, a Paris-based art agent, record that he and William were coordinating the ordering of a set of monogrammed Sèvres porcelain in late 1864. More items were ordered in the following years, from Sèvres or directly from Pillivuyt, often by the dozen.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance Commissioned by William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1864; inherited by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931 .  Found in the former Walters residence at 5 West Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore
Inscriptions [Monogram] WTW
Credit Commissioned by William T. Walters, 1864
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License