Description This pink pearl from the Common Conch (Stormbus gigas) is extremely rare. It is mounted in a platinum cage of five bands of leaves and blossoms set with minute diamond sparks. The long 20 inch chain on which the pearl is suspended is set with a diamond at every thirtieth link. The pearl weighs 3.64 grams.
Loose diamond secured in setting
Loose diamond reset
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
- Tiffany: 150 Years of Gems and Jewelry. The Field Museum, Chicago. 1987-1988.
- Pearls. American Museum of Natural History, New York; The Field Museum, Chicago; Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Atlanta; Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston; Midland Center for the Arts, Midland; Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto. 2001-2005.
- Artistic Luxury. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, San Francisco. 2008-2009.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance George F. Kunz, Tiffany & Co., New York; Henry Walters, Baltimore, [date of acquisition unknown] by purchase; Laura F. Delano, New York, [date of acquisition unknown] by gift; Walters Art Museum, 1977, by gift.
Inscriptions [Marks]: Eagle's head, restricted warranty.
Credit Gift of Miss Laura F. Delano, 1977
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License