Description This cross-shaped embroidery and its pendant, Walters 83.433, have been cut out from the lower halves of an omophorion, a stole worn by priests and bishops during the liturgy (cf. Walters 83.432). Both represent Christ flanked by the four evangelists who hold their respective Gospels.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License