Description This ivory plaque formed the center panel of a devotional three-panel icon. It shows the Virgin and Child under a canopy, flanked by angels with their hands raised in adoration. While the Christ Child blesses the viewer with his outstretched right hand, the Virgin softly touches his leg, a intimate gesture that stresses the close relationship between mother and son, assuring the beholder of the power of the Virgin's intercessory prayers.
|7/01/1987||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
Provenance Gaston Le Breton, Rouen, by purchase; Sale, Hotel Drouot, Paris, December 6-8, 1921, no. 194; Henri Daguerre, Paris, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1923, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1923
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License