Description Vincenzo Moretti, a glassmaker for Salviati, successfully produced glass bowls in the late 1870s using the ancient technique of mosaic glass. Makers of mosaic glass cut thin slices of from long, thin rods known as canes. The slices were placed side by side on a marble slab and heated in a furnace until they fused together. The soft flat disk of fused glass was then placed over a bowl-shaped form and heated until it slumped into the desired shape.
- Salviati and the Antique: Ancient Inspiration for Modern Glassmaking. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2007-2008.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License