Description Saint Nicholas, the mid 4th-century Bishop of Myra who was buried at Bari, is shown in his customary role as protector of children. The saint is of polychromed wood, with head and hands of ivory. He is portrayed holding an ivory cross and standing beside a praying child carved entirely of ivory. The wooden base rests on four depressed, conical, ivory feet. A hole drilled in the center of the base suggests that it was adapted from another work. The top member of the ivory cross has been lost. The base reads: SAINT NICHOLAS / POLYCHROME IVORY & WOOD / XVIITH CENTURY / GRUEL COLLECTION.
Provenance Léon Gruel, Paris; Henry Walters, Baltimore, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Inscription] On base: SAINT NICHOLAS / POLYCHROME IVORY & WOOD / XVIITH CENTURY / GRUEL COLLECTION
Credit Acquired by William T. or Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License