Probably commissioned by a member of the court of Emperor Frederick III of Austria (1415-1493) for his son Prince Maximilian (1459-1519), Vienna, Austria, ca. 1460-65, with illuminations by the Master of the Maximilian Schoolbooks; Bernard Quaritch, London, 1910, [mode of acquisition unknown, no. 238]; C. G. Boerner, Leipzig, November 28, 1912, by purchase [Auction CX]; Jacques Rosenthal, Munich, 1928 [Catalog 90, no. 196] and 1929 [Catalog 91, no. 6], by purchase; Sale, H. P. Krauss, New York, 1959, [Catalog 88, no. 14]; Walters Art Museum, 1959, by purchase.