Description This gold seal ring has four lines of Greek inscription in reverse on the oval bezel. The monograms and decorative vine scrolls on the shoulder are done in niello. The mandators (literally "messengers") were Byzantine state officials employed for special missions such as acting as guides for foreign envoys. The office disappeared in the 11th century.
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2006-2009.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry. El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso. 2010.
Provenance F. A. Harman Oates, London, by purchase; Sale, Sotheby's, London, February 20, 1929, lot 14; Léon Gruel, Paris, 1929, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] + Κ(ύρι)ε βοήθη τῶ σῶ δ(ούλω) Μηχαήλ β(ασιλικῶ) μανδάτ(ορι); [Translation] Lord, help thy servant Michael, imperial mandator
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License