Description The pax of copper gilt enriched by appliqués of plain silver, is set with a rectangular plaque of enameled copper and also with a lunette plaque of enamel. The main plaque represents a Pietà: the dead Christ rests on the lap of the Virgin, flanked by St. John on the left and the kneeling Mary Magdalene and Joseph of Arimathea on the right. In the lunette, God the Father, amidst clouds, extends his arms and raises his right hand in the act of benediction.
Provenance William T. / Henry Walters Collection, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by William T. or Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License