Description Such large cups, known in Russian as a korchik, were used for drinking wine and mead in wealthy households. Unusually, this one belonged to a woman.
Provenance Alexandre Polovtsoff (Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Polovtsov), Saint Petersburg and Paris [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] Along edge: Съ ковшъ секретарши * Евдокиi Иван[овн]/ы дочери жены * Романа Аръхипов[а]; [Translation] This "kovsh" belongs to the secretary’s spouse Eudocia, daughter of Ivan, wife of Roman Arkhipov.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License