Description Written in northeastern France in the last quarter of the twelfth century, this manuscript contains works by Solinus, Orosius, Pseudo-Alexander, Justinus, and Walter of Cha^tillon. An excerpt of the "Alexandreis" by Walter of Cha^tillon (active 1170-1180) provides a close dating for the manuscript. The manuscript represents an interest in classical texts, particularly that of geography and the Alexander legend, during this period, and the continued interest in ensuing centuries. For example, it exhibits heavy use through the rubricated titles in the margins, text corrections, and annotations that date from the twelfth through the sixteenth century. It was possibly owned by Francesco Griffolini Francesco, a humanist who translated classical works in Naples in the fifteenth century, as indicated by his signature (fol. 1r).
Provenance Possibly owned by Francesco Griffolini , Naples, ca. 1440-1500. Unknown Spanish owner, 16th century . Possibly acquired by Abbot Luigi Celotti [1786-1846], Venice, early 19th century . Acquired by Rev. Henry Drury, London, ca. 1823 ; purchased by Thomas Thorpe [1791-1851], London, February 21 1827 ; purchased by Sir Thomas Phillipps, London, late 19th-early 20th century ; Phillipps Sale, Sotheby's, London, June 15-18 1908, no. 678; purchased by Bernard Quaritch Ltd., London, 1908; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, after 1908; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  Griffolini was also known as Francesco Aretini, or Francesco of Arezzo; inscription on fol. 1r: "FRANCISCI. ARRETINI. ET. AMICORUM"; a second inscription on fol. 2r indicates possible change in ownership: "NUNC VERO GEORGII & AMICORUM SUORUM"  Spanish additions and notation throughout  See A. N. L. Munby, "Phillipps studies," 1951-60, vol. 3, pp. 50-51, 151  Inscription on fol. ir: "H. Drury. 1823"  No. 4022  Inscription on fol. 1v: "Phillipps MS/3403"
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download PDF Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License