Description This mortar is probably from the laboratory of Francesco II, Grand Duke of Tuscany. On the body of the mortar, in relief, is the shield of the Medici family with the crown of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and the letters AD 1648.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome, no. 301 [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License