Description This piece is a reduction of the bronze relief commissioned by the Municipal Art Society in 1931. Schuler, a native of Lorraine (in present-day France), was raised in Baltimore and attended the School of Art and Design at the Maryland Institute. He received the Rinehart Prize, enabling him to study in Paris. After receiving awards at the Paris Salon, Schuler returned to Baltimore, where he pursued a highly successful career as the city's leading sculptor and founded the Schuler School of Fine Art.
Provenance Mrs. H. A. Parr, III [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1946, by gift.
Inscriptions [Transcription] HENRY WALTERS. The Municipal Art Society. 1931.; [Signature] Schuler
Credit Gift of Mrs. H. A. Parr, III, 1946
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License