Description Monogrammed dinning services were essential items in wealthy 19th-century households. The diaries of George A. Lucas, a Paris-based art agent, record that he and William T. Walters were coordinating the ordering of a set of monogrammed Sèvres porcelain in late 1864. More items were ordered in the following years, from Sèvres or directly from Pillivuyt, often by the dozen. The same monogram (the intertwined initials "W.T.W") appears on the bindings of William's albums of drawings, and his napkins, glassware, and stationary.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance Commissioned by William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1864; inherited by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931 .  Found in the former Walters residence at 5 West Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore
Inscriptions [Monogram] WTW
Credit Commissioned by William T. Walters, 1864
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License