Description Though in unfortunate condition, this painting is of interest as a record of the Painted Hall during the 1st half of the 19th century. The structure, designed by Sir Christopher Wren between 1696 and 1704 and painted by Sir James Thornhill between 1708 and 1727, served as a refectory until 1824. Then it was transformed into a Naval Picture Gallery, with all its lower windows blocked to accommodate the paintings. Not until 1926 was the collection transferred to the National Maritime Museum. Davis shows the interior looking from the vestibule, through the 106 foot long Great Hall, toward the Upper Hall. A couple of elderly naval pensioners are seated at the left while others are shown on the flight of stairs and in the Hall. In the foreground, are two of four large plaster casts taken from the statues of British admirals by Flaxman, Westmacott and Baily in St. Paul's Cathedral.
- Spreading Canvas: Eighteenth-century British Marine Painting. Yale Center for British Art, New Haven. 2016.
Provenance Lord Farnborough (?); Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License