Description This small icon depicts the Virgin with her hands raised in prayer, and identified by an abbreviated inscription as the Mother of God. The size and theme of the icon suggest it was used in private devotion. For its pious owner, it would have served as a constant reminder of the Virgin's role as the most effective mediator between God and humankind.
Provenance Stanley Casson, Oxford, before 1930, by purchase [in Istanbul]; Spink and Son, London, before 1946, by purchase; Leopold Blumka, New York, by purchase; Joseph Brummer, New York, by purchase; Sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, May 12, 1949, no. 271; Walters Art Museum, 1949, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1949
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License