Description Completed for liturgical use of the Augustinian Canons of the Windesheim Chapter ca. 1450, this Book of Hours features eleven extant miniatures and nine historiated initials. The manuscript was illuminated by the Master of the Ghent Privileges and associates, possibly in Tournai. The first owner's association with Ghent as a cleric is evinced in the graded calendar, with possible visual references on fols. 1r and 82v. Along with occasional marginal additions, this Book of Hours also features some heraldry that attests to a cherished history.
- Time Sanctified: The Book of Hours in Medieval Art and Life. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988.
- Art in the Book:The Vision of Architecture, Painting, and Sculpture in Illuminated Manuscripts. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1989.
- Manuscript Illumination in Flanders. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1992.
Provenance Havet family, Tournai, Belgium (?), late 15th century  . Acquired by Gruel and Engelmann, Paris, late 19th-early 20th century ; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, early 20th century; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  Suggested by an added armorial design on fol. 8r  Two otther added inscriptions point to previous owners: a 16th century inscription on fol. 1r, "servio Alberto Godefrido Cluter" and a date that appears to be "1504"; modern pencil notation "N. 1200" on front flyleaf ii,r  Their bookplate inscribed "No. 60" on front pastedown
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters before 1931
Download PDF Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License