Description Traditionally, this painting was known as "Early Summer Afternoon" and was thought to represent a site in the Fontainebleau forest. However, it has since been identified as Bords de la Bouzanne, depicting a scene in the Berry district in central France, which was exhibited at the Paris Exposition Universelle (World's Fair) of 1867. While we know that the artist painted outdoors in the Berry region in 1842, this highly finished composition was likely done some years later.
|10/25/1951||Treatment||varnish removed; surface cleaned; coated|
|3/01/1979||Treatment||varnish reduced; surface cleaned; inpainted; coated|
|1/11/1982||Examination||examined for condition.|
|7/01/1982||Technical Report||examined for technical study|
|2/01/1998||Treatment||surface cleaned; coated|
|7/20/2006||Treatment||repaired; loss compensation; other|
- The Works of Antoine-Louis Barye. American Art Gallery (New York), New York. 1889-1890.
- From Ingres to Gauguin: French Nineteenth Century Paintings Owned in Maryland. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1951.
- An Exhibition of the Treasures of The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton; Pace Wildenstein Gallery, New York. 1967.
- Before Monet: Landscape Painting in France and Impressionist Masters: Highlights from The Walters Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998.
- The Road to Impressionism: Landscapes from Corot to Manet. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2004-2005.
- The Road to Impressionism: Barbizon Landscapes from the Walters Art Museum. The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis; The Frick Art & Historical Center, Pittsburgh. 2008-2009.
Provenance Henry Probasco, Cincinnati [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Probasco Sale, American Art Association, New York, 1887, no. 9; William Schaus, 1887, by purchase; William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1887-1888, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Bottom left: THEODORE ROUSSEAU; [Label] On reverse: Lincoln Safe Deposit Co., N. Y.
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1887-1888
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License