Description Sheet gold neatly molded across the back and around the edges of a lapis lazuli scarab, forms the surface into which finely detailed hieroglyphs are chased. A ring of sheet gold was added around the perforations at either end. The inscription reads "Chiefs of The Priestly Guild of Horus" which suggests that the ring was a mark of professional status.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Maurice Nahman, Cairo, [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1930, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation] Leaders of the priestly group (phyle) of Horus.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1930
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License