Description The lavish use of colored gemstones in this piece is thought to reflect the influence of Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933), the artist and glass designer, who served as director of the "Artistic Jewelry Department" of Tiffany & Co. following the death of his father, C. L. Tiffany, in 1902. This necklace was purchased as a wedding present for Ellen du Pont Wheelwright whose house, "Goodstay," is in Wilmington, Delaware. In the center of the pendant is a large blue zircon surrounded by canary diamonds alternating with smaller diamonds of various hues, green demantoid garnets, and amethysts. The triple chain is of platinum links and variously colored pearls.
- Tiffany Retrospective: Designs from Tiffany & Co., 1837-1999. Daimaru Museum, Umeda-Osaka, Osaka; Mitsukoshi Gallery, Fukuoka, Fukuoka. 1999.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2006-2009.
Provenance Ellen du Pont Wheelwright, Wilmington, Delaware, by gift [wedding gift]; Ellen Meeds Perkins, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1991, by gift.
Credit Gift of Ellen Meeds Perkins in memory of her mother, Ellen du Pont Wheelwright, 1991
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License