Description This ivory piece is one half of a 'panaghiarion,' a case designed to enclose the 'panagia,' bread dedicated to the Virgin in an Orthodox worship service (compare Walters 71.257-258). The relief carving is in the composition known as the Hospitality of Abraham, or the Holy Trinity. In this classical Eastern representation of the doctrine of the Trinity, Abraham's three angelic visitors sit at a table, with Abraham's house and the Oak of Mamre behind them (Gen. 18:1-15). On the back, the side that would be worn outward, is an image of the crucifixion with the apostles. The other half of this piece would have carried an image of the Virgin of the Sign, a composition also known as Panagia (All Holy One).
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville. 2001-2002.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville. 2002-2005.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1922, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] + Троица с(вя)таѧ. Бл(а)го(сло)венъ еси, Христе Б(о)же н(а)шь, iиже прем(уд)раiа ловца iiавлеи, пославъ имъ Д(у)хъ с[вятый]. [+ Благословен еси, Христе Боже наш, иже премудры ловцы явлей, ниспослав им Духа святаго.];[Translation] + The Holy Trinity. Blessed art Thou, Christ our God, Who hast shown forth the fishermen as supremely wise by sending down upon them the Holy Spirit (troparion for the feast of Pentecost).
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1922
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License