Description This pedestal is decorated with carved relief of a shield depicting a heraldic angel bearing a palm and cornucopia on a cross of the Knights of Malta; above is a barred helmet and an angel grasping the mantling of acanthus leaves. In the early 20th century, it was incorporated into the fabric of the Walters "palazzo" building on the second-floor landing.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome (?) [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License