Description This type of cartouche-shaped signet ring with a very long bezel made of faience was popular from the late 20th to the 23rd Dynasties. A question exists as to whether these rings were ever actually used as signets or were for funerary purposes, religious souvenirs, or gifts for special occasions. It seems probable that rings with blank bezels were mass-made in molds and that, while the material was soft before firing, the inscription was added. This small version is made of blue faience. Incrustations exist in the shallow crudely carved hieroglyphs which read "Men-ib-re, right of voice, the great god," a fictitious name which is attested elsewhere.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License