Description This relief figure resembles a statuette now in the church of Les Billanges (western France). Both figures hold a rectangular object upright against their chest that has been identified as a reliquary of the True Cross, representing that sent to the nearby Abbey of Grandmont by King Amaury of Jerusalem (r. 1162-74). Like the French statuette, this example was part of a monument that once graced the church of Grandmont, perhaps a monumental cross or an altar frontal. Grandmont was a religious foundation established by St. Stephen of Muret (ca. 1044-1125). A number of enamels survive from the main church and its dependencies.
Cleaned to reduce dirt and grime.
- Reliquaries and Ritual: Medieval Objects of Devotion. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984-1985.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville. 2001-2002.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville. 2002-2005.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License