Description This rectangular plaque, which may once have decorated the side of a box, shows at the right St. John Chrysostom (d. 407), archbishop of Constantinople and one of the great authorities of the Orthodox Church, with his right hand raised in blessing. The identity of the second saint remains uncertain, although his clothes, and especially his tunic clasped at the shoulder, suggest that he was an early martyr.
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
Provenance Léon Gruel, Paris, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1923, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1923
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License