Description This image is similar in size to ivory icons (e.g. WAM 71.158) but was used to decorate the interior of a church building. In its damaged state, it shows the amount of work that museum conservators have done in order reassemble such Byzantine painted tiles from thousands of broken fragments.
Provenance Nikos Avgheris, Istanbul, ca. 1950, by purchase; Robert E. Hecht, Ruxton, Maryland, 1956, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1956, by purchase.
Credit Partial museum purchase with funds provided by the S. & A.P. Fund, 1956 and partial gift of Mr. Robert E. Hecht, Jr., 1957
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License