Description The blue nicolo inltaglio has a delicate figure of Nike (Victory) standing on an orb and holding a wreath in her outstretched hand. The circular bezel is almost completely separated from the hoop and is held up by a pair of leopards. Other rings of this type contain coins of emperors of the 3rd and 4th centuries. This ring was most likely a reward given by an emperor to a successful military leader.
|1/21/1983||Examination||examined for loan|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Gold Jewelry: Craft, Style, and Meaning from Mycenae to Constantinopolis. Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence. 1983.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2006-2009.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry. El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso. 2010.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License