Description Shaped like a small church with domes, this box is divided on the inside into three compartments for storing incense used during the liturgy. The Lamb of God on the lid symbolizes Jesus Christ. A dedicatory inscription explains that the box was presented in 1791 by two women, a priest, and his wife to a church dedicated to St. Theodore. The four came from Erkiled, a village close to Caesarea (Kayseri) in central Turkey.
Provenance Lucy Arnold Stephenson, Baltimore, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1952, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] Յիշատակ է խնկամանս Երգլ/էթցի Ալմաեան որթիքն կող/ակցինէրին Սուլթանին, Թէվրիզ/ին; տ(է)ր Մովսեսի, իրիսկինի Սուլթանի / ի թուրն Ս(ուր)բ Թորոսի եկեղեցին; [Translation] This ark of incense is presented to the Church of Saint Theodore in memory of the Erkiled residents Sultan [and] Tevriz, spouses of Almean’s sons, [and of] Father Moses [and] his wife Sultan.
Credit Bequest of Lucy Arnold Stephenson, 1952
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License