Description State officials in the early Byzantine Empire often inspected newly made silver objects and stamped them to attest to the purity of the metal. Four such stamps on the bottom of this cup for Communion wine contain, together with the inspectors' names, the monograms of Emperor Justinian (ruled 527-65) and of his minister Peter (served 547-50). The donor of the chalice was a state official whose name is recorded in the text along the rim: "For the prayer and salvation of the imperial agent Symeonius and of his household."
|1/12/1985||Technical Report||examined for technical study|
|1/01/1999||Loan Consideration||examined for exhibition|
|12/01/2007||Examination||examined for condition|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Silver Treasure from Early Byzantium. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1986.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville. 2001-2002.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville. 2002-2005.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Museum of Biblical Art, New York; Colby College Museum of Art, Waterville; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha. 2008-2009.
- Wine and Spirit: Rituals, Remedies, and Revelry. Mount Holyoke College Art Museum, South Hadley; Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester, Rochester. 2010-2011.
Provenance [Excavated in Syria, ca. 1908-1910]; Tawfic Abucasem, Hama and Port Said, ca. 1913, by purchase; Joseph Brummer, Paris, ca. 1928, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation] Encircling the top of the cup: + In fulfillment of a vow and [for] the salvation of SYMEONIOS, magistr[ianos], and of THOSE WHO BELONG TO HIM; [Stamp] Five stamps inside the foot
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License