Description The entire dish is painted in gold and ruby luster, a practice influenced heavily by imported potteries from Spain during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. It was likely produced in Gubbio, a center of maiolica production that was renowned for its luster wares during the Renaissance.The center of this dish is painted with a band of concentric circles that frame a diamond set within a square. The second ring is decorated with a repeating pattern of gadroons, and the outermost ring with a raised edge displays a continuous zigzag line. Four luster spirals are painted onto the back. For more on the luster technique, see 48.1320; for more general information on “maiolica,” see 48.1336.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acqusition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License