Description This pendant was designed around the voluptuous but irregular shape of a baroque pearl which forms part of the body of the lion. This kind of light, amusing, showy pendant was apparently meant to be worn at events such as weddings. Its charm depends on its design rather than on a massing of precious stones. This type of design is associated with the late 16th-century Southern Netherlands jewelry designer Hans Collaert.
|6/01/1983||Examination||examined for loan|
|7/25/1983||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|1/25/1988||Examination||examined for condition|
|5/09/1991||Examination||examined for condition|
|8/25/2002||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|4/07/2003||Examination||examined for condition|
- World of Wonder. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1971-1972.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
- Pearls. American Museum of Natural History, New York; The Field Museum, Chicago; Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Atlanta; Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston; Midland Center for the Arts, Midland; Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto. 2001-2005.
Provenance Canessa Collection; Sale, New York, 1917, no. 73; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1917 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1917
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License