Description Such large, powerful portraits of Christ "Pantokrator" (almighty) were customarily displayed on the iconostasis, or icon screen, separating the lay people in the nave from the altar area of the church. The use of an iconostasis, as well as this type of portrait icon, were adopted from Byzantium. In style, however, the icon is distinctly Russian, with Christ's large, heavily shadowed eyes and straight, narrow nose contributing to a stern expression appropriate to his role as Judge and Ruler.
|9/21/1965||Examination||examined for exhibition|
- Russian Art: Icons and Decorative Arts from the Origin to the Twentieth Century. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1959-1960.
- A Millennium of Christianity: Russian Art from The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988-1989.
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Museum of Biblical Art, New York; Colby College Museum of Art, Waterville; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha. 2008-2009.
Provenance Acquired by Alexandre Polovtsoff, Paris; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License