Description Giovanni Bellini was the leading Venetian artist of his era and particularly known for his naturalistic depiction of light. He and members of his workshop painted this work as a commemorative piece to adorn the rooms of the Procuratia di Ultra, one of the most important public offices of the Republic of Venice. The procurators, high-ranking officials who administered public affairs and resolved judicial disputes, are depicted as kneeling donors before the Madonna and Child, who are seated on a lavish throne. They have been identified as Tomaso Mocenigo, Luca Zeno, and Domenico Trevisano. The saints are the apostle Peter with his keys to Paradise and Mark, one of the patron saints of Venice. The painting was made as a votive offering, thanking the Virgin for her protection of the Venetian Republic.
|4/08/1947||Treatment||coated; examined for condition; x-ray|
|1/01/1958||Examination||examined for condition|
|2/14/1958||Examination||examined for condition|
|12/26/1961||Treatment||chemical analysis; cleaned; coated; infrared spectroscopy; inpainted; surface cleaned; varnish removed or reduced; x-ray|
|3/01/1963||Examination||chemical analysis; examined for technical study|
|5/22/1963||Examination||examined for technical study|
|1/01/1967||Examination||examined for condition|
|2/27/1967||Examination||examined for technical study; x-ray|
|1/01/1970||Examination||examined for technical study|
|1/01/1970||Examination||examined for condition|
|3/10/1981||Examination||examined for condition|
|11/05/2007||Examination||examined for exhibition|
- Giovanni Bellini. Scuderie del Quirinale, Roma; Musei Civici Veneziani, Venezia. 2008-2009.
- Glory of Venice: Masterworks of the Renaissance. Denver Art Museum, Denver; North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh. 2016-2017.
Provenance Procuratia di Ultra, Venice, 1510 [until at least 1797]; Baron C. F. Wendelstadt, Frankfurt, prior to 1828 ; Wolsey Moreau, prior to 1868; Raymond Balse, prior to 1873. Berenson (?). Henry Walters, Baltimore, prior to 1916; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  1828 catalogue: no. 15
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, before 1916
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License