Description This translucent green blown glass bottle, also known as a candlestick unguentarium, sits on a flat base and has a bell shaped body. The cylindrical neck, with a construction just above the body, tapers up towards the flat disk rim. Vessels of this shape, ranging from smaller, palm sized examples all the way up to larger versions such as this one, would have been used to hold valuable oils and perfumes. This form became popular beginning in the 2nd century CE and examples have been found throughout the Roman Empire but they seem to have been especially popular in the Eastern Provinces.
- 3000 Years of Glass: Treasures from The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1982.
Provenance Judge & Mrs. Herman Moser, Baltimore, [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1956, by gift.
Credit Gift of Judge and Mrs. Herman M. Moser, 1956
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License