Description A chrismatory served as a container for the three vials of holy oil (or chrism) used in church rites. These were the oil for the consecration of priests and churches, the oil for confirmation of the young, and the oil for the last rites of the dying. This chrismatory, decorated with engraved busts of angels, would have been supported by gilded copper feet.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License