Description This seven-drawer miniature writing desk is known as a "teremok" (small tower) cabinet. Flat walrus-ivory and bone plaques, some of which have been stained moss green, are affixed by nails to the cabinet's front and sides, and to the fronts of the three interior drawers. Their surface is busily decorated with circle motifs and colored black. Twelve thicker plaques carved with rocaille floral openwork decoration typical of the mid 18th century north Russian School have been set over mica sheets on the exterior drawer fronts, sides, and top. The two largest of these plaques are set into the sloping drop-front. They include, on the right, a lion, and on the left a doe and swooping bird, within the stylized floral matrix. Several of the plaques are chipped or cracked. On the back on a paper tag is written: "130;" engraved on the bottom of the left front foot is the date "1812."
|7/20/1959||Examination||examined for exhibition|
- Russian Art: Icons and Decorative Arts from the Origin to the Twentieth Century. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1959-1960.
- A Millennium of Christianity: Russian Art from The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988-1989.
Provenance [Scandinavia]; William T. / Henry Walters Collection, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Number] On the back on a paper tag: 130; [Date] Engraved on the bottom of the left front foot: 1812
Credit Acquired by William T. or Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License