Description This half shaffron is from a garniture (complete set of various elements) of armor that originally numbered about 60 pieces made for Kaspar Baron Völs-Schenkenberg, captain of Emperor Ferdinand's guards. Dated 1560, it was surely commissioned for the baron's use in the great royal field tournament that Archduke Maximilian organized at Vienna in 1560 to honor his father, Emperor Ferdinand.
Provenance Counts of Fels, Austria; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License