Description This is one of seventy-two plaques from the large bronze door of the monastic church of San Clemente a Casáuria, in southern Italy. They were commissioned by Joel, abbot from 1182 to 1191. This panel bears an interlace design, perhaps inspired by Islamic textiles or metalwork. A second panel, Walters 54.1058, depicts the three-turreted castle of Fare d'Abrile, one of 20 monastic properties represented on the door panels of this church.
- The Year 1200. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 1970.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License